Saturday, April 6, 2013

An Ocean Adventure


Hello Friends! It's been quite a while since the last time I blogged. Spring in Kindergarten is a  busy time filled with field trips and TONS of learning! Over the past month my Kinders became experts on the ocean habitat.  

We read many different books about the ocean. The book pictured above has beautiful illustrations of what sea creatures live in the sea.

My class enjoyed being able to explore the different shells.  I found a book that allowed them to match the shell with the picture and find out what animal used to live inside it.  Obviously this center was hit!


We learned this song to the tune of, Take Me Out To The Ball Game.  Then we added it to out poetry books.  I found this song on the blog Welcome to Room 36!. 

Here are a few of our favorite ocean books! 


We read many books about scuba divers, and recored our new learning on the chart pictured above. My class used this chart to make super sentences about scuba divers.  

We diagramed the tools that a scuba diver needs.  My class did the same in their journals.  


Since we couldn't go scuba diving we did the next best thing... make life size scuba divers of ourselves! I love how they they turned out!  

We read many non fiction books about animals that live in the ocean habitat.  We recorded our new knowledge on the chart below.  


We read the Rainbow Fish And The Big Blue Whale and Bright Stanley.   

                            
We fingered painted the two main characters of the books.  Love how they turned out!

We wrote an intriguing book called Fun in the Ocean.  

The text reads, "When I went diving in the ocean I saw shells."

"When I went diving in the ocean I saw a seahorse."


Here is a picture of one of the ocean themed centers that was out this week.  The kids had to complete the sentence by picking an ocean animal.  Then they completed the worksheet below.  I found this wonderful center on the blog Welcome to Room 36!.




Fishing for Math is a game that allows them to practice their addition and subtraction skills. 

Word searches can be a great way to get the kids reading and practicing their spelling.  I found this word search on the blog Welcome to Room 36!

Check out this cool floor puzzle I found!  

We practiced our ar words by putting on a eye patch and reading the words as fast a possible before the sand timer ran out.  I found the idea for the pirates map on the blog Babbling Abby.


We learned how to make sand pudding.  I got the idea for this on the blog Welcome to Room 36!

This sequencing sheet was a freebie!

Here are all the materials you'll need to make sand pudding.  The kids loved it!

One last activity that we did was to watch the Monterey Bay Aquarium live web cameras.  The class really enjoyed this! Also, Brain Pop Jr. had a great video about the oceans.  After we watched it I showed them where all the oceans were located on a world map.  

Miss H.
















0 comments:

Post a Comment